There are 23 countries in North America and 9 dependent territories with the United States of America being the largest and Saint Kitts and Nevis being the smallest by population.
When most people think of North America they think of two countries: The United States of America and Canada. Sometimes, people also realize that Mexico is also in North America. But the reality is that there are a lot more than 2 or 3 countries in North America. So, how many countries are there in North America?
Actually, North America has 23 different countries. And while it is true that about 80% of the North American landmass belongs to either Canada or the United States, the North American continent also contains the whole of Mexico, all Central American nations, and the islands of the Caribbean sea. Apart from the 23 different countries, North America also has 9 dependent territories.
The boundaries of North America are the Arctic Ocean to the North, the Pacific Ocean to the West, and the Atlantic Ocean to the East. Its furthest south country is Panama that borders with the South American nation of Colombia. North America and South America together make up what is known as the Americas. Spanish and English are the major languages of North America, although French is distant third thanks, mostly, to its presence in Canada (Quebec) and Haiti.
North America is about 17% of the total land area on our planet.
List Of North American Countries:
|List of the 23 countries in decreasing order of population:|
|The United States of America|
|The Dominican Republic|
|Trinidad and Tobago|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Antigua and Barbuda|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis|
But what about dependent territories?
|List of the 9 dependent territories in decreasing order of population:|
|Puerto Rico (USA)|
|United States Virgin Islands (USA)|
|Bermuda (United Kingdom)|
|Cayman Islands (UK)|
|Turks and Caicos Islands (UK)|
|British Virgin Islands (UK)|
The United States of America
- The largest country in North America, the United States also has the largest economy.
- Although the United States does not have an official language, English is the most widely-spoken language, followed by Spanish.
- Its population is 325,365,189. The capital city is Washington DC, although the country’s largest city is New York City.
Mexico urgently needs a series of structural reforms that will detonate its true economic potential for once and generate more public welfare. – Enrique Peña Nieto, Mexican President
- With a population of 123,675,325, Mexico is the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world.
- The capital city is Mexico City is also the largest city.
- The second largest country in the world after Russia, Canada has a relatively small population of 35,151,728. The country is officially bilingual: English and French.
- The capital city is Ottawa, although the country’s largest year is Toronto, Ontario.
- This small nation has a population of 16,582,469. The official language is Spanish.
- The capital and largest city is Guatemala City.
- The largest of the Caribbean islands, Cuba has a population of 11,239,224. The official language is Spanish.
- The capital and largest city is Havana.
The Dominican Republic
- The Dominican Republic occupies most of the eastern portion of the island of Hispaniola and has a population of 10,800,857. The official language is Spanish.
- The capital and largest city is Santo Domingo.
- Occupying a portion of the west in the island of Hispaniola, Haiti has a population of 10,847,334. There are two official languages: French and Haitian Creole.
- The capital and largest city is Port-au-Prince.
- Honduras has a population of 9,112,867. The official language is Spanish.
- The capital and largest city is Tegucigalpa.
- El Salvador has a population of 6,344,722. The official language is Spanish.
- The capital and largest city is San Salvador.
- Nicaragua has a population of 6,167,237. The official languages are Spanish and English although several regional languages such as Miskito, Rama, or Sumo are also recognized.
- The capital and largest city is Managua.
- The Republic of Costa Rica has a population of 4,857,274. The official language is Spanish but the regional languages of Bribri, Mekatelyu, and Patois are also recognized.
- The capital and largest city is San José.
- The Republic of Panama has a population of 4,034,119. The official language is Spanish.
- The capital and largest city is Panama City.
- The island of Jamaica has a population of 2,881,355. The official language is English but Jamaican Patois is the most widely spoken language in the country.
- The capital and largest city is Kingston.
Trinidad and Tobago
- The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago is made up of the islands of Trinidad and Tobago. Its total population is 1,353,895. The official language is English.
- The capital is Port of Spain but its largest city is Chaguanas.
- The Commonwealth of the Bahamas is an archipelagic state in the Atlantic Ocean. It has a population of 391,232. The official language is English but Bahamian Creole is a recognized regional language.
- The capital and largest city is Nassau.
- Belize was formerly known as British Honduras to distinguish it from its neighboring Spanish Honduras. Its population is 387,879. The official language is English but Spanish, Belizean, Creole, Mayan languages and Garifuna are also regionally recognized.
- The capital is Belmopan but the largest city is Belize City.
- The island nation of Barbados has a population of 277,821. The official language is English but Bajan Creole is also recognized.
- The capital and largest city is Bridgetown.
- A sovereign island country, Saint Lucia has a population of 176,015. The official language is English.
- The capital and largest city is Castries.
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Often shortened to Saint Vincent, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines has a population of 109,643. The official language is English.
- The capital and largest city is Kingstown.
- Grenada has a population of 107,317. The official language is English, although Grenadian Creole English and Grenadian Creole French are recognized and widely spoken.
- The capital and largest city is St George’s.
Antigua and Barbuda
- The sovereign state of Antigua and Barbuda has a population of 100,963. The official language is English.
- The capital and largest city is St. John’s.
- The Commonwealth of Dominica has a population of 73,543. The official language is English.
- The capital and largest city is Roseau.
Saint Kitts and Nevis
- The Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis has a population of 54,821. The official language is English.
- The capital and largest city is Basseterre.